Lower Body Lift
A tummy tuck — also known as abdominoplasty — is a cosmetic surgical procedure to improve the shape and appearance of the abdomen.
During a tummy tuck, excess skin and fat are removed from the abdomen. Connective tissue in the abdomen (fascia) usually is tightened with sutures as well. The remaining skin is then repositioned to create a more toned look.
You might choose to have a tummy tuck if you have excess fat or skin around the area of your bellybutton or a weak lower abdominal wall. A tummy tuck can also boost your body image.
"A firm, flat abdomen is a hallmark of a beautiful body contour. A tummy tuck, personalized to your needs, can help you improve your abdominal shape for years to come. "
A tummy tuck tightens and reshapes the abdominal area, helping to achieve a more aesthetically pleasing, slimmer overall appearance. Having a flatter, firmer midsection can dramatically improve the way clothing fits and looks, helping you feel more confident and comfortable in your body.
During the procedure, the abdominal muscles are tightened and excess, sagging skin is eliminated, correcting a protruding belly and leaving the midsection flatter and better toned. Tummy tucks are popular procedure for men and women, particularly those whose bodies have undergone dramatic changes from weight loss or pregnancy.
Who Might Benefit from a Tummy Tuck?
The decision to have any cosmetic procedure is personal, and patients choose to have tummy tucks for a variety of reasons. The best candidates are at or near their ideal body weight, are non-smokers in good health, and have realistic expectations about what surgery can achieve for them. If any of the following describe you, a tummy tuck is an option to consider:
- Diet & exercise have helped you lose weight, but your abdomen still protrudes and lacks tone.
- Your abdominal muscles and skin are stretched and sagging following pregnancy.
- After losing significant amounts of weight, you now have loose, excess skin hanging around your belly.
- You have always had a belly that “sticks out,” even though you are in very good shape.
What are the benefits of Tummy Tuck Surgery?
- Men & women can get a firmer and toned abdomen shape with abdominoplasty surgery.
- It’s a permanent removal of fat via liposuction as a part of tummy tuck surgery referred to as lipo-abdominoplasty.
- Tummy tuck surgery makes the abdomen thinner, firmer, and also improves the posture.
- It helps in improving overall health by removal of extra body fat. It’s a good way to improve a healthy lifestyle.
- The tummy tuck surgery tightens the abdominal weakened muscles that further helps in alleviating back pain, preventing future abdomen wall hernia.
- Abdominoplasty surgery has a significant role in reducing stress urinary incontinence (SUI).
- Tummy tuck surgery corrects ventral hernia.
- It helps in boosting self-confidence and also plays a key role in maintaining cleanliness & personal hygiene, for those having recurrent skin injections at the pubic area under the hanging skin on the abdomen.
Before & After
BODY MASS INDEX CALCULATOR
Calculate Your BMI
Schedule your appointment
Frequently asked questions
A tummy tuck is a procedure that allows for the repair of the muscles of the abdominal wall after excess weight gain and/or pregnancy. The procedure removes excess weight and stretch marks, making it ideal for patients that have had children or have lost massive amounts of weight, either by gastric bypass or with traditional methods.
Dr. Gunasekar Vuppalapati will discuss your goals, as well as the degree of weakness of your abdominal wall muscles, excess skin, and subcutaneous fat around the abdominal wall. He will also discuss the type of tummy tuck that is ideal for you and what kind of results you can expect
Dr Gunasekar Vuppalapti three types of tummy tucks. For patients with a minimal amount of excess weight and skin, a mini tummy tuck may be appropriate. “Mini” refers to the amount of skin that will be removed.
A regular tummy tuck is ideal for patients with a larger amount of skin excision. Most of the time, this procedure involves relocation of the belly button or belly button reconstruction.
Many patients have questions about the difference between a tummy tuck and liposuction. Where a tummy tuck reconstructs the muscles underneath and removes excess skin, liposuction only removes excess fat. Liposuction will not remove or reduce loose, hanging, or excess skin.
In general, good candidates for a tummy tuck want to improve the contour of their stomachs, are in overall good health, and have realistic expectations.
On the day of your procedure, you should plan to be at the surgery center for at least 3 ½ hours. The surgery itself takes approximately 2 1/2 hours in surgery and the remaining time will be spent administering anesthesia and preparing you to go home.
After your tummy tuck, you should plan to take 2 weeks off of work because you will be required to limit your physical activity and stay bent at the waistline for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, you should be able to stand up straight and return to work. You will have a draining tube for one week and wear a compression garment for 6 weeks following your surgery.